There are a number of very good reasons not to follow fashion trends. So if you just cannot face wearing anything that’s deemed fashionable, don’t worry. It doesn’t matter if you are wearing what is “in” or not; what’s more important is to wear what you like and what suits you. Here are some excellent reasons not to follow fashion trends …
- They’re becoming more and more RIDICULOUS
- One of the top reasons not to follow fashion trends is that fashion can be utterly ridiculous. It’s often said that catwalk trends are not meant to be worn in real life, and that they filter down to high street stores in a more wearable and diluted form. But unless you have a strong personality, why wear something that makes you look ridiculous?
- You just can’t be INDIVIDUAL anymore
- Is there anything more annoying than seeing several people wearing the same item you’ve just bought? This is a common problem when shops carry what they deem to be fashionable. The items are often so distinctive that you will easily recognize them on someone else. Avoiding fashion means that you’re more likely to dress in an individual style.
- Simply be DIFFERENT
- By refusing to follow fashion, you will be making a statement that you are different. Your style is not dictated by magazines, designers or stores. Isn’t it much more interesting to wear what you like, rather than be influenced by #people who just want to make money out of you?
- It will be UTTERLY UNFLATTERING
- Fashion can be deeply unflattering. Just look back at old photos of yourself and you will realize how awful you looked in the fashions of the time! The problem with fashion is that it dates very easily. So wear clothes that #look good on you, regardless of whether they are “in” or not.
- DICTATED BY MAGAZINES
- Magazines can be fun to #read, but they can exert quite an influence on your idea of what you should be wearing. Of course, the magazines are in turn dictated to by designers, who demand substantial coverage in return for letting their clothes be featured. So enjoy reading magazines by all means, but be aware of how they manipulate readers.
- It CHANGE a lot and fast
- The truly irritating thing about fashion is how quickly it changes. So you may buy an item that soon becomes perceived as dated. One minute, flared pants are in … then they’re out … then they’re in again. How can we keep up?!
- Why do it if it’s NOT YOUR STYLE?
- Fashion is all very well, but if it just isn’t “you,” then leave it well alone! Some fashions depend very much on your size, build and personality. If something that is in fashion just doesn’t work on you, pick something that does. Who cares if it is “in” or not?
- And if WAIT LONG ENOUGH it will come back
- Whatever you like will come back into fashion! So if you’re particularly fond of skinny jeans, don’t worry if boyfriend jeans are deemed this season’s style. Sooner or later (and probably sooner, in the fast-moving world of fashion), your skinny jeans will again be the latest style.
Fashion should be fun, so don’t be a slave to it. You’ll just end up spending lots of money to replace perfectly good clothes, and may wear items that just don’t suit you. Or you’ll be down because you know the latest style doesn’t work for you. Never mind that – wear what is right for you. How do you feel about fashion – is it a waste of time, or do you love looking out for the latest styles?